Sunday 10 December 2017

Gift Ideas That Can Change Someone's Life - Part 1


I am a simple person. I know what is important to me and I don't like to waste money unnecessarily. So when it comes to thinking about getting gifts for people, I really like to try and get something which will have real value and appreciation.

When it comes to my second daughter its really easy. Technology, and anything that she thinks will make her more popular. However, my eldest daughter is much less shallow and she would rather have things that matter to her or make a difference to her life. Whether this is a book, lessons for something, or something that is going to improve the quality of her life and self understanding.

In this post I'm going to make some suggestions for gifts that may actually change someone's life or add value beyond the price of the gift.

1. Books


Books expand your mind, open you up to new ideas and give you a chance to exercise your mind. A mind expanded by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions.

A great book that I can recommend which is timeless in its message and wisdom is Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. It's quite an old school book, however when it comes to a sustainable approach to improving your life so that it is more meaningful, purposeful and driven by your values, then I can't recommend a better book.

Click on the image to learn more:



2. Magazine Subscriptions


A magazine subscription for the right magazine can be life changing. It will allow you to keep completely up to date with any area that you have an interest in and is usually written by experts in the field. The great thing about Subscriptions these days is that you can get the latest edition delivered directly to your mobile device. If you know someone who is wanting to have more self awareness, or just generally interested in self improvement then Psychologies. It's a magazine that is primarily targeted at women, but I find it incredibly fascinating myself.

Click on the image to learn more:



3. A Really Nice Notebook


Anyone that has ever taken any serious time out to write down their thoughts, capture ideas, create their plans and set their life goals will always appreciate a good quality notebook for this purpose. The benchmark in quality is Moleskine, and if you have ever had the pleasure to use a Moleskine you will know exactly what the fuss is all about. The covers are tactile and feel great in the hand and the paper quality makes these a joy to write on. There is also a wide range of specification so you can get something that really suits the personality of the person you are buying for.

Below is one of my favourites. I prefer A5 size myself as I find them easy to carry around with me and jot down things in random ad hoc locations.

Click on the image to learn more:



4. A Really Nice Pen


Pens are also another personal gift that can change someone's pleasure and value in life. Especially if they have that special pen that they use for special occasions. It is critical that you get a pen that gives you a sense of ceremony when it is used as a pen is a tool of record for what is occurring in our mind. I personally use a Montblanc Starwalker which I use specifically to write down my goals, my deepest reflections and insights. 

Click on the image to learn more:



5. A Sleep Tracker And Wake Up Light

Nothing beats a good night's sleep and if you are anything like me, you really hate the winter for the lack of daylight. A good night's sleep though is energising, and when you are well rested, you have greater will power, optimism and are generally happier, more focused and productive. 

To that end a sleep monitor, sleep tracker and wake up alarm is a great life enhancing piece of technology that will empower and support you to get a good night's rest and a solid start to the day. I personally use the Withings Aura along with the Health Mate App to track my sleep, weight and movement. The alarm goes off during a window of time and the sensor tracks when that optimal moment is to wake you so that you wake feeling rested and refreshed. This is a grate gift at this time of year as we move into the shortest days of the year.


Click on the image to learn more:





In part 2, I will be looking at gifts that will just keep on giving with a similar life changing theme. 





No comments:

Post a Comment